If you're shipping high-value freight, it's important to take the necessary precautions to protect your goods. There are a number of ways to do this, and in this blog post, we'll discuss the risks involved when not doing things correctly before offering the best options available.
You don't want to be in a position where your high-value freight is lost, damaged, or stolen. Freight shipping commodities are not all the same and there are a variety of ways to protect your goods. So if you're in the business of shipping high value items, read on!
What Are the Risks Related to Valuable Freight?
An example of high-value freight would be something like a piece of machinery or electronic equipment. There are a number of risks to this type of freight.
Here are all the risks:
- The goods may be damaged in transit: This is one of the most common risks and can happen due to many factors such as bad weather, rough handling, or accidents.
- The goods may be stolen in transit: This is a risk, especially when FTL shipping high-value goods by truck. Thieves may break into the truck and steal the goods or even hijack the entire truck.
- The goods may be lost in transit: This can happen if the shipping container is lost or if the freight is misrouted.
- There may be a delay in the delivery of the goods: This can happen for different reasons such as bad weather, strikes, or accidents.
- The goods may not arrive at all: This is the worst-case scenario and can happen if the goods are lost or stolen (or just simply misrouted).
Ways to Protect High-Value Freight
We’ve noticed a lot of people googling “how to ship high-value items”. There are some ways to protect your high-value freight. Paying close attention to our freight shipping solutions is essential. With that said, here is the best way to ship high-value items.
#1. Faster Delivery for High-Value Goods
One way to protect your high-value freight is to ship it by a faster delivery method. The quicker the delivery, the less likely theft or damage will occur. And be sure to pick the right timing for your shipment.
For example, don't ship on a Friday afternoon if you can help it since it may sit over the weekend before being delivered. This goes for holidays as well. Expedited can be a bit more complicated, but it's certainly worth it due to the extra protection it offers.
#2. Working with Trusted Carriers and Brokers
Another way to protect your high-value freight is to only work with trusted carriers and brokers. Make sure you do your research on any company you plan to work with. Read reviews, check out their website, and talk to other businesses in your industry.
At Cowtown Express, we are both brokers and carriers, which means we understand all aspects of the shipping process. Our freight broker company can help you choose the right carrier for your shipment and offer a variety of services to get your freight where it needs to go, quickly and safely.
Adding More Security Measures
High-value transportation requires an extra level of care. There are several security measures you can take to protect your high-value freight.
Here are some:
- Get high value shipping insurance: This will protect you financially if your goods are lost, damaged, or stolen in transit.
- Drive dedicated trucks: This means that your freight will be the only thing in the truck, which reduces the risk of theft.
- Use a secure warehouse: A secure warehouse has security cameras, alarms, and guards. This will protect your freight when it's not in transit.
- Use anti-slash curtains: These are curtains that go over the windows of the shipping container and make it more difficult for thieves to break in.
- Have fixed parking instructions: This will ensure that your truck is parked in a safe, well-lit area.
- Use RFID tags & GPS trackers: RFID tags can help you track your shipment and GPS trackers will allow you to see where it is at all times.
Shipping high-value items can be a risky business, but there are a number of ways to protect your freight. By following the tips in this blog post, you can help ensure that your shipment arrives safe and sound.
Do you have any other tips for shipping high-value items? Share them with us in the comments below! And if you are considering changing freight shipping companies, Cowtown Express is here for you. Our advanced truck shipping services are unmatched.
Get a quote for freight shipping here.